What Can I Do?
Your support will help someone step out of the shadows of illiteracy. When considering support OKCMLC consider this:
- Increased literacy skills generate higher wages and therefore more taxes are paid into the community.
- 35% of Oklahoma’s Children live with parents who do not have fulltime employment.
- 4th grade reading scores at proficient and advanced levels range from 5% to 90%
- In Oklahoma County, 1rst to 3rd grade students in reading remediation range from 14% to 63%.
- Nearly 37%of high school drop outs live in poor families
- High School Drop-Out rates range from 1% to 40%
- 20% of young adults lack their high school diploma in Oklahoma County
- Oklahoma continues to be ranked as the state with the HIGHEST female incarceration rates in the U.S.
- Oklahoma is the eighth highest state in the nation when comes to teen pregnancy.
- If there is a beginning to an end of poverty, literacy is it.