The Community Volunteer Tutor Training provided by the Payne Education Center teaches volunteers the Multisensory Structured Language method. This method is based on the science of reading success and is appropriate for community volunteer tutors, paraprofessionals, English language learning teachers, and parents or family members of struggling readers. The Multisensory Structured Language method is effective with both struggling readers and those who are not at risk for reading challenges. The volunteer tutor training course is 4 hours. Payne offers two types of volunteer training – one focusing on tutoring elementary level children, and another structured for tutoring middle and high school, as well as adult learners. You don’t need to take both courses to tutor all age ranges. Take the course that aligns closest to the age ranges you plan to tutor. If you take either of the courses, you will receive materials from both courses.
With each 4-hour training course, tutors receive a tutoring toolkit. The toolkit includes: 1 volunteer binder with table of contents and 36 lessons, 1 student binder, volunteer reading deck, volunteer sight word deck, volunteer prefix-suffix deck, alphabet letters, arc alphabet mat, colored discs for alphabetizing, 1 mirror, readiness tests , and student log reports. The toolkit can be used with more than one student. The 4-hour tutor training course costs $150, and the Tutoring Toolkit costs $50.
The Oklahoma City Metro Literacy Coalition has designated funds to pay for the $50 Tutoring Toolkits.
- Scholarships are awarded after any Payne Education Center scholarship awards.
- Scholarships cover the cost of the Tutoring Toolkit ($50). The remainder of the training fee ($100) is paid by participant.
- Applicants must explain where they plan to work as a tutor and be committed to work for an entire school year.
- Eligible applicants will be contacted by OKCMLC for a telephone interview after their application is reviewed.
- Scholarships are awarded based on need and availability of funds.
Fill out the form below to apply for a scholarship for the $50 Tutoring Toolkit!