Properly trained reading tutors can help children and adults become successful in reading, writing, and spelling.
The Community Volunteer Tutor Training provided by the Payne Education Center teaches volunteers the Multisensory Structured Language Alphabetic Phonics method. This method is based on the science of reading success and is appropriate for community volunteer tutors, paraprofessionals, English language learning teachers, and parents or family members of struggling readers. Multisensory Structured Language Alphabetic Phonics method is effective with both struggling readers and children who are not at-risk for reading challenges. The volunteer tutor training course is 3 hours.
After completing the 3-hour training course, tutors receive a Tutoring Toolkit. The toolkit includes: 1 Volunteer Binder with table of contents and 32 lessons, 1 Student Binder, Volunteer Reading Deck, Volunteer Sight Word Deck, Volunteer Prefix-Suffix Deck, blue alphabet letters, blue arc alphabet mat, transparent counters, 1 mirror, readiness tests for 2nd-6th graders, and recording keeping logs. The toolkit can be used with more than one student. The 3-hour tutor training course costs $25, and the Tutoring Toolkit costs $50.
The Oklahoma City Metro Literacy Coalition has designated funds to pay for the $50 Tutoring Toolkits.
- Scholarships are awarded after any Payne Education Center scholarship awards.
- Scholarships cover the cost of the Tutoring Toolkit ($50). The remainder of the training fee ($25) is paid by
- Applicants must explain where they plan to work as a tutor and be committed to work for an entire school year.
- Eligible applicants will be contacted by OKCMLC for a telephone interview after their application is reviewed.
- Scholarships are awarded based on need and availability of funds.
Please fill out the form below to apply for a scholarship. We will be in touch within 1 week regarding our decision.